Hi, I’m looking to use NextcloudPi; should I use a Raspberry Pi?
You certainly can! The latest Pi model will have better performance, but has a few downsides as nicely described in What’s Wrong with the Raspberry Pi. If you want to learn more about rpi’s power requirements, this article will be of use.
- Pi 3b+ is a decent choice with gigabit networking, but there are better options!
- Pi 2 works just okay.
- Pi 3 works slightly better than the 2 model.
- Pi Zero W has very low performance. Note: armv6 is no longer supported!
Best ARM Device for NextcloudPi
The best ARM device is not a Raspberry Pi! Surprise! It is a great device, but competition is heavy these days.
For price vs. performance the most popular NextcloudPi ARM Devices are:
- Rock64 — same price as the Raspberry Pi 3b
- ODROID HC-1 — 2.5″ Hard Disk support for $49.00
- ODROID HC-2 — 3.5″ Hard Disk support for $55.00